The IPOL designs wizard is a sophisticated online form that guides you through the application process. The wizard has been designed by experts to help you achieve the best possible protection for your design while retaining confidentiality by using IPOL as your agent.
Your application details will be sent directly to the New Zealand Intellectual Property Office within one business day of your completion of the wizard. Do not disclose your design before you have received confirmation that the application has been filed.
Simple and cost effective to use
This Wizard has been designed to take the mystery out of the application process. It will guide you through each stage providing detailed information and examples at each step. The process has been simplified by experienced professionals to make sure you get the best possible protection from your application.
An owner’s exclusive rights to a design will only extend to the description of the design (known as the “Statement of Novelty”) and accompanying drawings. Preparing the wording of the Statement of Novelty and appropriate drawings can be complex. The Designs Wizard will prepare a Statement of Novelty on your behalf and guide you through the legal requirements for the design drawings.
Once the application details are confirmed, the IPOL Wizard will send your application details directly to the New Zealand Intellectual Property Office.
The following information will be required in order to complete the application process:
- Full details of the owner of the design, including contact details, full legal name, and nationality or country of incorporation; and
- Accurate images of your product, showing the unique features of the design which you will be marketing, in one of the following formats - .gif, .jpg, .doc, .pdf or .tif. Black and white photographs or line drawings of your design are allowed, but drawings are preferred, as they are by their nature less detailed than photographs and by being less specific they afford broader design protection.
Please note that:
- If your design includes words, letters or numerals they may need to be removed.
- If your design relates to a repeating surface pattern, the drawing will need to show the complete pattern and a sufficient portion of the repeat in length and width, for example:
|NZ Registered Design No. 27556
|NZ Registered Design No. 408548
- If you only want to claim part of your goods in your design, then use broken lines for the part of the object which you do not claim. In the above example of a shoe, broken lines have been used to show that only the shoe upper forms the scope of the registered design.
If you require assistance with drafting drawings of your design, we recommend that you seek assistance from James & Wells Intellectual Property. IPOL is not responsible for drafting drawings on your behalf.
IPOL is able to take payment by Visa, American Express, Mastercard and Diners.
The fee for using the IPOL Wizard is $150+GST for each design that you apply for online. In addition to the IPOL fee there will be official fees of $100+GST per design application.
IPOL also provides optional advice services if you are not sure about your application. These services can be reviewed at the checkout at the end of the Wizard process.